Sunday, September 5, 2010

The Cowboys

"You god-damned, mean, dirty, son-of-a-bitch!" "I wouldn't make it a habit of calling me that, son." I don't like John Wayne. He's just not a great actor. I'm not saying he's bad; I'm just saying he's average. In this movie, however, he just sucks. The film is about an aging cattle herder (Wayne) who recruits a bunch of schoolkids (literally) to help him take his cattle to market. Along the way, they're stalked by bad guys, encounter whores, and get into a gunfight that is just so damn unfair that it makes you want to yell "ENOUGH ALREADY!" I mine as well just tell you now, but Wayne dies. And his death is very, very bloody, and very, very unfair (he gets shot a bunch of times whilst unarmed, and takes the last shot in the back). The rest of the film is even more unremarkable.
On the plus side, Roscoe Lee Browne, Slim Pickens, and Robert Carradine give very good performances. Even so, they can't redeem this awful movie.

Rating: 0.5/4

No comments:

Post a Comment