Sunday, June 14, 2015

Rock 'n' Roll High School

Full disclosure: I'm a pretty big Ramones fan.  Hell, I've been into punk rock since high school (although my fascination probably started in middle school, thanks to the Tony Hawk games on the GameCube*).  But really, the Ramones were what piqued my interest in punk - from the moment I first heard "Blitzkrieg Bop" in Jimmy Neutron as a kid (I still have the soundtrack album), I realized I liked this sort of music.  But enough about that.

Rock 'n' Roll High School is shamelessly cheesy in the best possible way: No subtlety whatsoever.  It's like Grease, but with significantly less spontaneous musical numbers, car/sex metaphors, spontaneous musical numbers combined with car/sex metaphors, John Travolta, John Travolta getting hit in the balls, teenage pregnancy, and swearing (not joking - not like the Ramones were known for being dirty, anyway**).  We do, however, get significantly more sadistic principals (well, ONE sadistic principal), (literally) exploding mice (!), punk rock, actual Ramones concerts, Ramones, Dee Dee acting dorky (in other words, being himself), secretly awesome teachers, moronic/sadistic hall monitors, cocaine jokes, bathrooms that are used to run secret rackets (the guy in charge can hook up guys with girls, give dating advice, get you weed, etc. - the whole thing reminds me of the cartoon Recess, for some reason), insanely dorky football players who can't get dates (!!), and explosions.  There's also an intricate plot, but for some reason it doesn't really matter.  Oh, and a hysterical scene with a sex doll that has to be seen to be believed (don't worry, it's tamer than you can possibly imagine).

If you want a really deep, thoughtful movie about high school, watch Angus.  If you want cheesy, goofy fun that features the actual, honest-to-God Ramones (well, not Tommy - Marky had taken his place by that point) serenading P.J. Soles (and Marky fucking teleporting, with his drum kit, from outside her house into her fucking shower during a dream sequence***), and school REALLY being out forever (well, you'll get what I mean), then watch this.

Rating: 90%

*I'll post about it on my other blog, if I ever get around to writing about it.
**Unless you count the title of the song "Censorshit" or one word in "Warthog," they have kept it cleaner than even MxPx at this point (yes, really - MxPx just released a cover of Screeching Weasel's "Leather Jacket," "fuck" intact).
***It makes sense in context... she was stoned... I don't fucking know, it's a goddamn movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment